ST. ANTHONY'S TORCH
St. Anthony Falls, Minneapolis, Minnesota—September 2016 44°58' 56"N 93°15' 20"W
St. Anthony Falls was named by the explorer Father Louis Hennepin in 1680. The Torch cairn marks the portion of the river between the upper and lower St. Anthony Falls. The bridge in the background was built in 1883 to carry trains full of flour and lumber from mills powered by Mississippi River water rushing over the falls. Now, its 23 native limestone-and-granite arches support a pedestrian bridge that provides a grand view of the falls.